Hosting a party is never easy and for many it’s a very daunting experience. But it can also be incredibly fun and rewarding if you get it right. If you’re not looking to hire an event planner, we’ve a free guide below to help you plan and make the arrangements. These steps work across all events, whether it’s a new year’s Eve party for 2021, 18th birthday party, summer party, 50th anniversary party or a family dinner party.
There are five parts to complete to help create a successful event.
1 – The planning basics
- Set a budget – and try to stick to it!
- Set a time and date
- Create your guest list
- Set a venue based on guest numbers
- Pick a theme or genre
- After the theme
- Pick a dress code.
2 – Next steps
- Source suppliers
- Do your research
- Outsource an event planner or agency like ourselves to save you time and money
- Select the entertainment, music and acts
- Decide on the decor and props
- Choose the food and drink, ensure you cater for all guests
- Choose your photographer/ videographer
- Send out your event invites. You can choose from online or paper invites.
3 – On the day (or days before)
- Ensure your suppliers and contractors deliver on time
- Clean the venue (if required)
- Decorate and dress the venue
- Set up the cloakroom
- Allow yourself good time to ensure that any nags are addressed before the event.
4 – The event itself
- Look the part! You don’t want to be in the same outfit you’ve been wearing in the last few hours chasing suppliers or cable tying those artificial flowers around a pillar
- Have some light music and light effects in the background at the start whilst greeting guests
- Take coats unless the venue has a serviced cloakroom
- Show guests the facilities
- Offer snacks and drinks
- Be sure to mingle and speak to all of your guests and introduce guests that don’t know each other.
5 – After the party
- Ensure all your guests have travel arrangements to go back home safely.
- Clean up (If applicable)
- Thank guests by phone or thank you card.
Most importantly, please try and enjoy yourself!