Event organisers are incredibly skilled. They have a whole range of varying skill-sets to allow them to work effectively. We’ve listed the top soft and technical skills we feel every event organiser needs to be fantastic.
- Time Management – You need to be great at keeping time. You cannot afford to miss deadlines otherwise your event may not run like clockwork.
- Multi-tasking – You will need to be a great multi-tasker, there will be several things you could be organising for a single event. You could be chasing caterers for quotes and you can be chasing venues for their availability. Being able to juggle and prioritise all your tasks will put you in good stead.
- Resilience – At times you will face set-backs. Vendors can under-deliver or florists’ flowers may be damaged. To be resilient, you will need to pick yourself up quickly and overcome the hurdles.
- Creativity – Creativity is always needed to help your event stand out from the crowd (no pun intended). Creativity can make all the difference when satisfying clients.
- Attention to detail – You will need to be able to pick up on all the small details. Sometimes the smallest things can have the biggest impact.
- Technical ability – This is important, when discussing products and services. At times, you will need to know what a DMX cable is or a gobo light. These will allow you to have productive conversations with your vendors to create an immersive event.
- Building relationships – Relationships with vendors, venues and other stakeholders is critical. Getting everyone on your side can really help things get done quicker or even cheaper. But this always needs to be a two-way relationship for the best results.
There are plenty of skills you need to master in events, you will not always have all these skills but they are skills you certainly should strive to have.